Well, I didn’t have internet access during the Tuscany trip, so I never blogged! Instead, I’ll share our itinerary, at a very high level:
– Landed in Pisa, picked up a car and drove to Lucca
– Visited the little, walled city of Lucca. It has a nice bell tower that you can climb to see views of the whole city, and lots of cafes around on the main square for a tasty lunch.
– Of course, as with every place in Italy, good gelato!
– Stayed at Classic Hotel. It was a perfect, 3-star accomodation. We were looking for something cheap that had parking, so we chose it. It was located just outside of the main city, so we could park the car, but still walk to the city center. It was perfect – nice room, beautiful garden, free wi-fi, and breakfast.
– Visited Florence. Spent the days walking around and exploring the city and key attractions.
– There was a huge festival in the evening so we joined in the fun!
– Also, there was world cup soccer going on, with Team USA playing, so of course, we watched in an American bar!
– Drove to Radda in Chianti
– Stay at a fantastic little B&B, above a wine shop. Check out: http://www.labottegadigiovannino.it/
– Visited the Tuscany wineries.
1. Castello d’Albola (5 kms out of the center of Radda in Chianti). They have free tours at 12, 2, 5pm and its a good one!
2. Castello di Brolio. This is a little more commercial but a nice contrast. Open everyday 10-5:30pm
6. Brusco dei Barbi
7. Castello di Verrazzano
(Note: need to update with winery notes + restaurant with an amazing view and food name)
We head some wonderful food, and spent one evening in Sienna to have dinner. Sienna is a really nice medieval city, and a great place to try the Fiorentina Steak.
Day 7: Headed back to Pisa to visit the leaning tower and spend the last day on the coast, at the beach!